Saturday, September 3, 2011

Shipyard Pumpkinhead did not set sail this time...



Shipyard Brewery
Pumpkinhead Ale
5.1% ABV

As promised, we were going to keep on reviewing fall brews and I had to try this beer as soon as I saw it on the shelf. I have reviewed and liked  Pugsley's Signature Series Imperial Porter from Shipyard Brewery and mentioned wanting to try their Pumpkinhead Ale.  Well, I waited and waited to see it on the shelves and there it was...and there it should have stayed. 

When I first opened it I could smell spices and a very faint hint of pumpkin.  It had a nice orange tint as I poured it in the glass. The first sip was a shock to my taste buds.  Maybe I was expecting total greatness, or I was hoping for a pumpkin pie flavor to hit my tongue.  What I do know for sure was it was not a winner for me.  It was crisp and spicy with zip. I did not taste pumpkin but a SHIP-load of nutmeg in the finish.   I took another and another sip and I was still not won over.  I was so disappointed!  I did give one beer to my hubs to try and another to my sister in law to see if I was just disappointed rather than a total thumbs down.  My hubs said ehhh and my sister in law liked it so much she grabbed another.  She was also drinking a beer that I swear tasted like Fruity Pebbles so not sure I am going to value her opinion.  Blah ha ha!

Ok, to sum it up I say Pumpkinhead should walk the plank!  I am not going to give up on Shipyard just yet.  I saw they have a Pugsley's Signature Series Smashed Pumpkin with a sweet 9% ABV.  Maybe I have to stick with Pugsley to have a SHIP-shape brew.

If you do wrestle this brew from the plank give me a shout.  I would love to now what you think...maybe you will like it and I will get the name of the beer that tastes like Fruity Pebbles for you too!

Cheers!
~K~

2 comments: