Sunday, September 25, 2011

Iron Hill Brewery's release of the Imperial Pumpkin Ale

 Iron Hill Brewery
Imperial Pumpkin Ale
8.8% ABV

Finally, I made it to Iron Hill Brewery for their release party of the Imperial Pumpkin Ale.  There was music, pumpkin carving, and Chris (head brewer) walking around in a jack-o-lantern shirt. The restaurant was extremely festive!  You could not help but smile as you were pulled back to the simple childhood days when you heard the band playing the Peanuts theme song.  Ahh, memories. 

When our waitress asked us if we wanted to start with a drink I quickly rattled off three beers to try and a Imperial Pumpkin for me.  You see, my mama came with me and I had to show her why Miller Lite is not worthy.  We tried the Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Pumpkin Ale, and the Scottish Ale again.  I thought the Scottish Ale was light and low enough in ABV so her noggin would not explode.  After trying her samples, my mama went for the Imperial Pumpkin too!  I did try the Pumpkin Ale and it was a little on the bitter side and not as full bodied as the Imperial Pumpkin.

The Imperial Pumpkin is considered to be the BIG BROTHER to the Pumpkin Ale.  It has a fuller body because it is brewed with additional molasses and Belgian candi sugar along with pumpkin spices.  I certainly picked up on the spices and molasses.  It was smooth, a beautiful amber color, and the cascade in the glass made it even more enticing.  My first glass went down so fast that I had to order another so I could savor all the flavors and appreciate Chris' workmanship.  Blah ha ha...I will say anything to get another beer.


Cartoon Christmas Trio

As the music came to an end I saw the table behind me stocking up on beer like Hurricane Irene was on her way back!  Seriously, they were on a mission. They had several growlers and a few bottles of the Great Imperial Pumpkin Ale (Imperial Pumpkin Ale aged in bourbon barrels).  It was my idea of a perfect family portrait...lots of beer, smiles from ear to ear (I am sure the Imperial Pumpkin had a small part in that), and to top it off an adorable little girl with a infectious giggle!

To end my perfect afternoon, I sent my mom home with my daughter and I skipped out of Iron Hill with my son and growler in tow. 

Cheers!
~K~









No comments:

Post a Comment