Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Fish, a Pig, and The Second Rising


This past friday Kathleen and I met at Iron Hill Brewery for a long overdue lunch. I was dying to try the new 
seasonal releases - spefically Ironfish, a collaborative brew between Iron Hill and Flying Fish Brewing Co.

 
Our waitress, Nancy, was awesome. Since I told her I was a hoppy girl, she suggested I also try Second Rising, which is their Rising Sun brew with double the hops. She also brought out a sample of the Unassisted Tripel (IBU 35, ABV 9.4%), a smooth, wonderful Belgian ale that balances bitterness with hints of spices and sweet plums. My husband, a loyal Miller Lite drinker (I know), drank an entire growler of this beer 2 years ago on his birthday and passed out on the couch with the jug still in his hand. He he.

Anyway, back to lunch. We started out with 4 samples - Scottish Ale, Unassisted Tripel (mentioned above), Second Rising, and Ironfish. I tasted the Scottish Ale (IBU 14, ABV 3.4%) first (I think). It is a very nice, drinkable ale. And by "drinkable", I mean you can drink several while hanging with friends and family and not be sorry for it the next morning. Smooth and light, with a lovely chestnut color.

The Second Rising (IBU 80, ABV 7%) was next. It was delish, a little citrus-y, with a not too hoppy finish. I loved it. Perfect in-between beer for hop-haters on the edge.
Lovely deep amber color. Sigh. This came second for me, actually, because first I ordered a half-mug of the Ironfish:
Just look at that color. Come. To. Mama.
(Pig Iron Porter in the background)
I have to say this: when I first tasted the sample, I felt as though someone slapped me across the face, hard. And I liked it. This beer is INSAAAANE! And when you read INSAAAANE, please pretend that I (or the voice in your head) is speaking like a WWF commentator. With an IBU of 50 and an ABV of 8.2%. this brew packs a flavorful punch. This is an Imperial Black Belgian IPA with plenty of hoppy bitterness, fruit and spice from Flying Fish's Belgian yeast, and a roast-y finish. Luscious. Perfection, in my opinion. OH, and I would give it a GBF of 8 - after sampling it I deliberated over the menu for 20 minutes, which never happens. Poor Nancy!

Poor Nancy? Poor Nancy?!  Poor Kathleen!!!  I had to taste the Ironfish and just about lost all sensation in my mouth!  Ugh!!  It was N A S T Y!!!  I know I am a hop-hater and love my pumpkin ales right now, but this was taking the hops to another level!  If I do recall, I even gave the glass the finger!  True story! (Yep, true story - I took a pic, but it was blown out. I almost had to peel Kath off of the ceiling! ~ G)

After that holy crap moment I tried the Scottish Ale. Now that is more like it.  Smooth, light, and had a nutty finish.  Gab is right on with the drinkabilty factor.  I can see myself drinking this all afternnoon and not getting too buzzed. 

When "Poor Nancy" geesh, came to take our beer order I went for the good ole' Pig Iron.  It was delivered with a perfect head and it was still dancing in the glass.  The Pig Iron had a malty, coffee, and chocolate flavor that was all very pleasing.  I almost felt like a Pig in...well you know where I was going with that one.  Let's just say This little Piggy was a winner! 

Stay tuned for another review  - we are getting ready to taste the Imperial Pumpkin Ale that Iron Hill is going to release in a few short weeks!  I know I am dusting off my growler to take some home!

Cheers!

~G & K~





No comments:

Post a Comment