Saturday, September 10, 2011

One Small Patch Pumpkin Ale for man and one giant Pumking for mankind!

Southern Tier Brewing Company
Imperial Pumking - 8.6%  ABV

Since this is not my first rodeo with Southern Tier I did not think twice about tossing the evil pum-KING into my cart.  I have had most of the Blackwater Series so this gourd had it's seeds cut out for him!
When I first opened the bottle I did not pick up on just one spice or just pumpkin.  It had a slightly sweet smell with a spicy kick.  Once poured,  a wonderful copper color and lightly carbonated ale filled the glass.  The first sip had a smooth start and a bold nutmeg finish.  The spices were not overwhelming and the pumpkin flavor was perfect.  So do not let let the nasty looking pumpkin scare you away...snatch it up before it disappears.

  Oh, and a little FYI...my cousin who LOVES Southern Tier as well said he aged a few bottles of Imperial Pumking for a year and it was incredible! 

Tommyknocker Brewery
Small Patch Pumpkin Harvest Ale - 5% ABV

I decided to stay with the pumpkin theme and Tommyknocker was knocking at my door.  I have had the Maple Nut Brown and the Cocoa Porter by Tommyknocker (both were excellent beers) so why not try the pumpkin ale!

Almost all the pumpkin ales I have been trying have either been deep orange or a light copper color, so imagine my surprise when I poured it into my glass and saw a dark brown hue.  Small Patch Pumpkin had a mild sweetness with a small hint of pumpkin spice, and a faint molasses finish. I also thought it had a mild roasted malt undertone.  Small Patch Pumpkin has definitely balanced the spice and pumpkin flavors.  Actually, it reminded me of the Maple Nut Brown but with a zing.

Small Patch Pumpkin is certainly in a class of it's own from the color down to the molasses finish.  This was a job well done for Tommyknocker's first go around in the pumpkin patch of ales.

So there you have it, two more seasonal brews checked off my list and two more brews you should try. 

Cheers!

~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment