Sunday, December 4, 2011

I do like it Sam I Adams!!!

The Boston Beer Company - Samuel Adams
Thirteenth Hour - 9% ABV

Sam I am DIGGING you!!!!  I would drink this on a train, in a plane, and in the rain!  Samuel Adams has been one of my go to beers lately too.  I enjoyed the Pumpkin Ale, Winter Lager, and the OctoberFest.  As you all know I was obsessed with all the pumpkin brews.  Not one beer held a candle to my favorites Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin or Southern Tier Pumking but Sam Adams was a close runner up.  As Gab put it, during one of our liquid lunches, it is the sleeper of the season! 

 The Thirteenth Hour is one of four of the Barrel Room Collection all of which are sold only in a 22oz bottles. On the bottle the brief but catchy description was:

The thirteenth hour is the witching hour and refers to the mysterious combination of flavors in this brew.  We've combined the roasted chocolate and coffee flavors of a stout with the spicy character of a Belgian ale aged in oak. 

Uhhh, hello...this sounds like my perfect beer!  Oh and let's not forget it made with Kosmic Mother Funk!  You read that right! Sam Adams created KMF (Oh lookie...my initials!) which is a name for the process of aging ale in large oak tuns that is blended to varying degrees in each of the beers in the series to add unique spicy, fruity, and complex character.  Get the Kosmic Mother Funk outta here!!! 



The color was a deep mahogany with a creamy tan head.  It had an unusual scent that had me stumped and intrigued.  I knew I picked up the usual suspects for a stout which is chocolate and coffee, but there was a sweet scent wafting from the glass.  Maybe cherry?  An oaky vanilla aroma was also noted.

The Thirteenth Hour has a nicely balanced spice and sweetness that lingered on my taste buds.  It was not as full bodied as I anticipated but not let down.  Since this beer is a Belgium Stout is is a little different than your tradtitional stout.  I liked how all the flavors mingled with each other so I was not overwhelmed with one ingredient. 

Sam Adams once again, did not disappoint me.  I think you too would enjoy this beer here or there...You would like them everywhere!

Cheers!

~K~

 






No comments:

Post a Comment