Tuesday, December 13, 2011

My NOT so Epic Afternoon With Stone.

Stone Brewing Company
Vertical Epic Ale - 9.4% ABV

Stone Brewing Company has been releasing a Vertical Epic Ale since 02/02/02 and you guessed it, I got the 11/11/11.

I am usually not a HUGE fan of Stone Brewing Company because they tend to be Arrogant Bastards and use way too much hops.  I have sampled a few of the Bastard Releases and what a Bastard it was to my taste buds. Gab and I also tried two of Stone's Collaboration Releases, and if I remember correctly, I thought the Cherry Chocolate Stout was ok but the Japanese Green Tea IPA was a hot mess! 

Now, back to the present and the Vertical Epic Ale 11/11/11.  The label says the series are bottle-conditioned ales that are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012!  Even though some people say I am a beer hoarder (Gab & Ryan) I am quite sure I can not hold onto a beer that long.

Once poured in a glass the dark amber colored beer produced a nice frothy head.  The aroma was a bit strange to me.  I was expecting to smell more spices but was not hit with much of anything.  The label mentioned cinnamon with chilies so I was anxious to give it a try.  I should have waited.  UGH!!!  It was NOT what I thought it was going to taste like at all!!!  I was expecting some drinkablity and some heat from the chili.  Hell no!  I got bitch slapped by a freaking pepper!  Seriously, it was like taking a shot of beer while gnawing on a pepper!  If I wanted to eat right and sit with a veggie tray I would of gone to Whole Foods not Canals!!!  I wanted beer! A good beer damn it!

After I dumped out the bottled veggie tray I ran to the beer fridge, where I so called hoard my beer, and saw yet another Stone bottle mocking me!  This one was a different Gargoyle smirking above the label.  It was the Stone Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout. 


Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout
ABV - 10.5%

I did not waste much time pouring this in a glass in hopes of saving my taste buds from it's unfortunate peril.  The color was just beautiful.  A dark, dark, dark mahogany and the caramel head was inviting.  The aroma was that of licorice, chocolate, and coffee. All scents that are very much my cup of beer.  The first sip was a shock of coffee, like a typical stout, and once that dissipated a faint licorice flavor comes forward.  The two ingredients totally complimented each other.  At the very end of the complex journey of flavors a vanilla undertone sneaks in on your palate.  Now that my Bastard is a freaking beer!  No veggies here!!!!

So, my afternoon was not a complete Epic Fail.

Cheers!
~K~




No comments:

Post a Comment