Sunday, December 18, 2011

The Tale of Two Christmas Ales



Tis the season to be on the hunt for the best of the best Winter Warmers.  I have tried several (shocking, I know) and to my delight I have not tossed any in the sink in disgust. 

Just to list a few...

Iron Hill Brewery - Winter Warmer
Flying Dog - K-9 Cruiser Winter Ale
Harpoon - Winter Warmer (My ultimate favorite)
Lancaster Brewing Company - Winter Warmer

All of the brews were pretty tasty and the Harpoon Winter Warmer is FANTASTIC! I serve it in a glass rimmed with a little simple syrup dipped in cinnamon and sugar.  Pure Christmas Bliss.

I would have liked to review each Winter Warmer but I decided  to pick just two and I thought the two with the same name was the ticket.  Christmas Ale by Great Lakes Brewery and St.Louis Brewery/Schlafly Bottleworks.


St.Louis Brewey/Schafly Bottleworks
Christmas Ale - 8% ABV

I happen to see it in the make your own six pack and thought, what the hell.  In the cart it went with a few other treasures. 

Hello, Christmas in a bottle!!!  Really!  I opened the bottle and instantly smelled orange and cloves.  The color of this bottle of Noel was a rich amber with a small creamy head.  It did not hold the head for long but it had a decent amount of carbonation.

I was not too sure with the orange action oozing from the bottle but the fist sip proved my intuition to be wrong!  What a well balanced, sweet, yet not too sweet, spiced, fruity, and just a drinkable beer. Oh, and with a respectable ABV of 8% I was feeling mighty festive after three bottles.



Great Lakes Brewing Company
Christmas Ale - 7.5% ABV

Even though they share the same name the two beers are completely different.  The Schafly Christmas Ale had an orange flavor that lingered with some clove but this number used honey, ginger, and cinnamon.  Great Lakes once again did not let me down.

After I emptied the bottle out into a glass. the head rose to at least 3 fingers high.  When the head slowly shrank a beautiful copper colored ale was left in the glass. 

The taste was constantly evolving.  I instantly tasted ginger, then honey, and last cinnamon.  The three flavors melted together to produce a well brewed ale.  Again, with a nice 7.5% ABV it left you no choice to feel all warm and fuzzy for Christmas.

So, if some of you faithful readers want to try a good Winter Warmer instead of trying to hide that obnoxious Elf on the Shelf try some of my picks!

Cherrs!

~K~









No comments:

Post a Comment