Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Hound That's Welcome at My House Anytime...

by Gab


"Anytime you're thinking Evil, you're thinking the blues." ~Howlin' Wolf

2011 has been an amazing year for many reasons, not the least of which is the 100th birthday of Mr. Robert Johnson.  In honor of the this reknowned blues master, Dogfish Head Brewery collaborated with Sony Music to craft the perfect celebratory ale. Hellhound On My Ale is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse, 10% ABV, 10 SRM in color, and dry-hopped with 100% centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per (yup, you guessed it!) 100 barrel brew length. Phew!

 That gorgeous, cloudy color makes my mouth water all over again...

In addition to the intense hops, there is a delightful hint of citrus due the the dried lemon peel and flesh added as a shout-out to Robert Johnson's mentor, Blind Lemon Jefferson. The attention to detail in this collaborative series is just too awesome for words.

My hop-head intuition told me this was going to be an amazing beer before I even lifted the glass to my lips, and boy was it right on the dang darn money! Refreshing with just enough hops (for me), and the hint of lemon adds a nice, crisp finish. Two sips in, I could not stop smiling. After one pint I was the happiest person in the Foley living room! I had waited weeks to try this special release, and it was everything I dreamed it would be.

Kath: Once I opened the Hellhound I knew that I was going to make a face that would send small children sceaming.  I tried to compose myself as I clinked glasses with Gab and my hubs...but the soapy head and cloudy brew was scaring me!  I hated it!  A shiver went down my spine and I could have sworn a hound made it's way into my kitchen to bite my ass.  NOT GOOD.  So, if you like pine, lemons. and Pledge this brew is for you...NOT ME!


Poor Kathleen's taste buds were so violently assaulted by this beer that she could not sleep until she shared that with you!

If you enjoy a fair amount of hops, you should definitely try to get your hands in this limited release. Save it for a time when you can kick back, play some soul-feeding blues and toast the Mississippi delta bluesman who inspired this very finely-crafted beer.

Cheers!
~K & G~


No comments:

Post a Comment