Monday, October 10, 2011

Troegs Perpetual IPA - Good Lord (not in a good way)

Troegs Brewing Company
Perpetual IPA - 7.5% ABV

The definition of perpetual is as follows - lasting forever, everlasting, occurring continually.  Troegs named their IPA right then... the hoppy, nasty, and jump out of your skin flavor lasted FOREVER on my tongue!  GOOD LORD it was harsh!  Maybe the hops all over the bottle should have been a warning or when I opened the bottle the citrus smell slapped me right in the face!  Even after that, I still poured it into a glass to give this brew a fighting chance.  Besides my brother (who is a HOP HATER too) gave it to me it could not be that bad, right? 


As you can see the beer is light orange in color, with slight haze as you peer through the glass.  The head lasted for a few minutes and was light in color as well as texture.

Now, the taste.  Wow, how can I put this, and totally get my point across?  It was like gnawing on a pine tree and then sucking on a grapefruit.  I was jumping out of my skin, pacing in the kitchen, and then held out the glass for my husband to try.  I am sure you can imagine the look on his face, complete horror.  He was not quite as dramatic as I was but his taste buds were also assaulted by the
sheer magnitude of the hops!

After the assault I looked on Troegs website to see if the IBU (International Bittering Units) was off the charts, and I was right.  The IBU was listed at 85!!!  Just to put this number into perspective for you, an average beer is at 20-45.  Anything higher creates more bitterness.  I'll say!

I am sure there are Hop Heads that would love this beer and Gab would have been in total Hop Heaven.  Me, well from my review it is safe to say I was in Hop Hell. 

Cheers!
~K~

No comments:

Post a Comment