Sunday, October 2, 2011

Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale...ehhh


Smuttynose Brewing Company
Pumpkin Ale - 6% ABV

Do you see that color? It pours a cloudy orange color with a beautiful off white head.  It smelled of all the usual suspects...cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove.  The head quickly dissipated and left you to see the carbonation slowly moving up the glass.

The flavor was not what I expected at all.  This is not all that uncommon with the pumpkin ales.  It was hoppy.  Yes, hops.  I hate hops.  The body was medium to light with a spicy kick.  I tried another sip and passed it right to my husband.  It had a bit of a malty flavor but the bitter citrus hops dominated my pallet. I had to pass. 

Smuttynose has some great products like the Robust Porter and Old Brown Dog Ale.  Overall the brew was not terrible and the hops was not all that bad either.  I just have no tolerance for hops...none!

So, my fellow beer lovers I say...Ehhh to Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale.  Don't fret...I have a few more beers up my sleeve and look out for a blog entry from Gab and I.  We had a liquid lunch with a side of tomatoes a few days ago...sigh.  

Cheers!
~K~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment