Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Oktoberfest 2011


Oh, what a night!!!!  My hubs and I hosted an Oktoberfest for our family and friends so they all can see what I am so passionate about...beer.  I made a ton of food and got two 1/6 of a keg of my personal favorite Southern Tier Imperial Pumpking and the solid standby Sam Adams Octoberfest. 

On our invitation we requested that everyone bring their own personal favorite seasonal brew.  I saw beers walk through my gate that made me want to jump up and down with joy, and then I saw one beer I swore made the music stop as it crossed the gateway.  NOT in a good way, either. You know who you are, Mike!




Southeren Tier Imperial Pumpking - 8.5% ABV
Sam Adams Octoberfest - 5.3% ABV

The Southern Tier, I believe, was the party favorite.  It was flowing all night and everyone had a glass full or at least tried a cup.  I have had it in the 22oz bottle, but to have it on tap it was like a slice of  heaven.  The nutmeg was in full swing and the mild sweetness of the pumpkin was a fantastic finish.  I do have to give my guy Michael Conway at Canal's in Marlton a HUGE thank you for tracking down the Southern Tier for me.



I figured I would make center pieces out of the Southern Tier Pumpking so my guests could read up on the beer they were loving and wishing they were as cool as me!  Oh, and that glass there, yeah it is the the Pumpking.  



This lovely creation was from my neighbor who is Martha Stewart and Lucille Ball all wrapped into the best package ever!  She made this fabulous dip that tasted like the filling in pumpkin pie!  It was served out of a hollowed out pumpkin with mini ginger snaps. 



The Brew Bitches of the evening. 



Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale - 5.2% ABV
Great beer if you like pumpkin pie, which I do!  Delish!  I have reviewed this beer a few weeks ago and gave it (as my brother puts it) two hangovers up!
Ellicotville Brewing Co, Octoberfest Lager - 5% ABV


Riverhorse Tripel Horse Belgium Style Ale - 10% ABV
Gab - This beer is very good. If you're a fan of Belgian Tripels, you won't be disappointed! Try it, and you'll be wandering around muttering, "Riverhorse Tripel Horse" til you want to stab yourself in the eye.



Founders Breakfast Stout - 8.3% ABV
I can not wait to try this little number.  My cousin who is another beer lover brought this just for me to try.  He recommended me to drink it at room temp so I can really enjoy all the different flavors it has to offer.

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale - 8% ABV
You know where I stand on this beer.. LOVE it!!!  I did have the option of having this sweet thing on tap but my Rob (ok, I guess I will name the poor guy) preferred Southern Tier and he really had to twist my arm.  Blah ha ha!!


Sam Adams Wee Heavy - 10% ABV
Gab has had this beer and she loved it!  I did have a few sips at the party and it was creamy and dreamy! 
Gab - This is a current fave of mine. It's a beautifully-colored Imperial Scottish Ale that hits like a war hammer. Try it before it's gone!

Fegleys Brew Works Rude Elf's Reserve - 10.5% ABV
This was not Rude at all!!  It was smooth with a boozy kick, if that makes sense.  I could smell cinnamon and nutmeg and the taste was that off slightly toasted caramel malts.  Very good.  Once I get a chance I will take a picture of the beer poured and give it another go-around. 

Gritty McDuff's Halloween Ale - 6% ABV
I did try this a week ago and I did not have any love for it...at all.  It was too bitter for me, but to be fair it is a Extra Special Bitter Ale.  Maybe this one is for Gab.
Gab - I just tried this, and it is just eh. Not worth the calories, my friends!



The Southern Tier Trifecta that came to the party. 
Jah-va Imerial Coffee Stout - 10.6% ABV
Pumpking Imperial Ale - 8.6% ABV
Oat Imperial Oatmeal Stout - 10.8% ABV

Obviously, I do not need to say a word about the Pumpking...Ok I will one more time...SIGH.  The other two stouts I have not had as of yet.  My brother raves about the Oatmeal Stout and he was so-so about the  the Jah-va Stout. 
Gab - I love the Jah-va! It is my second favorite coffee stout. Get your Starbucks fix and a buzz on at the same time, what more can you ask for?

There were a few other beers I did see floating around that I did not get a picture of or even taste!  The HORROR!!!!  What I do remember trying is the Oktoberfest - Marzen-Style Lager with a 5.5% ABV by Dundee Brewing Company.  It was a full bodied lager that poured a beautiful color of mahogany.  The first sniff yielded caramel and molasses or maybe brown sugar.  The flavors matched the scent so I was not surprised or disappointed.  I was surprised that it is an Oktoberfest beer.  I am use to a lighter and less sweet Oktoberfest beer, like Sam Adams Octoberfest or Brooklyn Brewery.  This was a sweet and a full bodied beer that really represented a true Marzen(meaning March) -Oktoberfest Lager.  Maybe I am used to the American style Oktoberfest beers, but this I liked.

Gab - One of the crowd favorites was Smuttynose Farmhouse Ale. Farmhouse Ales really float my boat, as you can see here . Overall, there was a great mix of brews. I even saw a Weyerbacher Heresy at the bottom of the cooler! The authentic German and Belgian Pilsners were well-represented as well in true Oktoberfest fashion.

Now, for a tiny peek at the fun times:


Ken, Party Rock Central and Resident Bushwackuh.

Sigh. There are no words.

We didn't know who this guy was, but he scared the crap out of us, so we left him alone.


The sophistication slays me. Betty Draper ain't got nothin' on you, Kath!


Jean, my mom (Gab), and Mike. See the expression on Mike's face? He's thinking, "Holy shit, everyone knows that I brought the Bud Light Lime cans, and now I'm caught red-handed drinking Southern Tier and eating a hoagie. Balls!"

"Did you see that someone brought Bud Light??? And who THE FRICK ate all of the pumpkin dip?? GOSHDARNIT TO HELL!!!"

Blah ha ha!!!


After all the smoke cleared from the cigars and the chiminea,  I was left with a buzz and a grin!  I had a great time with everyone and had some kick ass beers!  Hopefully everyone enjoyed themselves as well...if not...



enough said.

Cheers!
~K & G~

No comments:

Post a Comment