Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Elf was Mad and Rude tonight!


Troegs Craft Brewery
Mad Elf Ale - 11% ABV

Since I decided to start moving on from the pumpkin ales, sigh,  I gave the two elves a whirl.  I have already tried Rude Elf's Reserve at my Oktoberfest, and I liked it, but I wanted to try it against it's arch nemesis..the Mad Elf Ale! 

I was also intrigued to try the two ales side by side because there is a little controversy surrounding the not so jolly elves.  The Mad Elf Ale has his jingle balls in a bunch and sent The Rude Elf's Reserve Ale a cease and desist order.  Apparently the brewery feels that the Rude Elf's Reserve labeling is too close to their Mad Elf's likeness and name. 

 I first went with The Mad Elf  Ale, made by Troegs Craft Brewery.  Typically I do not like brews by Troegs because they tend to be hoppy.  I HATE HOPS!  Just so you know.  But, my  fabulous beer god Michael from Canal's emailed me and said I must try and he put some aside. I also looked it up on Troegs website and had just a IBU of 15! Boosh!

With a pretty aggressive pour the head was about an inch high but quickly disappeared.  What was left in the glass was a beautiful cherry/orange ale that had a spicy and slightly sweet scent.  The first taste was ehh, and the second was still ehh...and I was almost as Mad as the Elf on the bottle!  It was spicy and not overly carbonated.  I thought maybe it was me so I passed a glass around.  Everyone loved it! I mean everybody!!!  I really thought my bother would be with me on this one but NOOOO!!  He liked it along with my hubs, Darlene, And Christine!  Well what do they know...right? They drink Miller Light for goodness sakes! Where is Gab when I need her!  Ello? I guess I still do not like Troegs. 
Fegley's Brew Works
Rude Elf's Reserve - 10.5% ABV

After that disappointment, I cracked open the Rude Elf's Reserve, and just took a pull right from the bottle!  Not bad...not bad at all!  Cinnamon hit me right away and a hint of nutmeg.  The body was about the same and the Mad Elf but the color had a little more of an orange hue.  After the cinnamon passed over my taste buds I recognized some caramel malts.  This brew is a fine winter beer that should be sipped and savored because of the bold cinnamon flavors and the high ABV.  I think if you drink more than 2-3 of these beers you may find yourself being a Rude Elf or just a Rude Bastard.  Oh, and the crowd...they still loved the Mad Elf Ale!

The price point on these beers are not even close to each other.  The Mad Elf Ale will set you back $16.99 for a 6 pack or $8.99 for a 22oz. and the Rude Elf's Reserve was priced at $8.99 for a 6 pack.  In my opinion don't get Mad just get Rude...it is cheaper and you get just about the same buzz. 

Cheers!
~K~









No comments:

Post a Comment