Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Blue Monkey Springfest 2011


Well, we made it! Ready for some highlights?
(Photo courtesy of Cory Dunsmuir)

We loved meeting the folks from Weyerbacher. Natalie DeChico was super-friendly and we both enjoyed tasting Verboten Belgian Pale Ale, 5.9% APV and 30 IBU. Gab likey'd, Kath - not so much.   BUT, my (Gab) favorite beer of the evening was Weyerbacher's Tiny, which I closely guarded and kept to myself. It is a Belgian inspired Imperial Stout weighing in at 11.8% - Not so TINY!!. You’ll find big chocolate and roasted notes, balanced with the Belgian flavors from the Abbey yeast strain. 
Nicole, Gab, and Kathleen

Brooklyn Brown Ale - 5.6% APV, was a fave of Kath's. Had a nutty, chocolate color, for what it's worth. Don't really know what color means for craft brews. Guess we have to drink some more to find out, huh?
Blue Point Blueberry Ale from Long Island was another fave of Kath's. Light on the APV (4.39%) with an equally low IBU, it smelled of blueberry lusciousness from the first sip. It is a nice, light, summer-drinking beer, perfect for outdoor parties.

Gab: Not my favorite, and an unexpected taste. I'm not a fan of mixing fruitiness and beer. I feel the same about wine, too! Give me pineapple in my vodka any day, though!!!



Mark Weinmann from Great Lakes Brewing Company was also extremely cordial and took time to talk to us as well. When he heard we were beer bloggers, he did not hesitate to top us off, blah ha ha! His lovely wife sent him to Springfest with wildflower seed packets, love it! Great Lakes Brewing Company is an environmentally-respectful and socially-conscious company. Their Edmund Fitzgerald Porter was another of our faves. Malty, Nutty, with a hint of coffee. 5.8% APV.

BOTTOM LINE: Our one overall favorite was Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale. Complete lusciousness! Described as "the original hybrid, a cross between a Scotch Ale, an India Pale Ale, and an American Brown. Our Indian Brown Ale is well-hopped and malty at the same time (magical)". 7.2% APV at a 50 IBU.  For me (Kath) I am so surprised I liked this beer.  I am a Hop-Hater from way back but I really liked this beer. I actually went out today to get a 6 pack. 

Gab: I LOVED Dogfish Head's Indian Brown Ale, but my #1 fave was Weyerbacher's Tiny. I was very privileged to have tasted it "under the table", I definitely owe my sister for not sharing. Thank you so very much, Natalie! 

One thing I was wondering about, though - where was Flying Fish???? I was so looking forward to sipping some Exit 9, and any Exit, for that matter!

What were your faves from Saturday night? Let us know in the comments, and tell us what you ran out to buy post-hangover on Monday!

Be back tomorrow for Wino Wednesday!

XOXO

K & G

No comments:

Post a Comment