Saturday, January 21, 2012

The weather outside is frightful, but I got a Good Beer...NO SHIT

 
"The Tail of Two Dogs"

Flying Dog Brewery
Road Dog Porter - 6% ABV

Some people head to the store to get eggs, milk, and bread before snow, (I guess to make french toast?) but I head right to the liqueur store.  There is no freaking way I am going to be stuck here on a cold night without provisions! I ended up walking out with a 6 pack of River Horse's Oatmeal Milk Stout plus a few singles of Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout and Road Dog Porter both by Flying Dog Brewery.

I already had the River Horse (great beer too BTW) so I went with the two gems from Flying Dog Brewery. 

Road Dog Porter had a creamy head that rose to about an inch but started to retreat within seconds.  What was left in the glass was a slightly hazy beer with an amber hue.

A malty aroma escaped from the glass along with a hint of hops.  God, I hate hops!  The bottle stated it had just 31 IBUs, so I thought I was safe from the hops.  Thankfully, my first sip was malty and earthy with mild carbonation.  Once I left the glass sit for about 10 minutes so the brew could get a little warmer the flavors shifted.  I could now taste the coffee and the roasted nutty characters emerged. 


How COOL is that label?  That dog is such a bad ass! This is the first label to be illustrated by Ralph Steadman and was almost not seen!  Initially this label was deemed profane and Flying Dog along with the ACLU went to court to fight to keep Ralph's motto "Good Beer...No Shit" on the label.  After many years Flying Dog won and it was ruled that art can not be censored!  Boosh! 

Now that my friends, is a good beer...NO SHIT!


Flying Dog Brewery
Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout - 8.9% ABV

My next move was to the nasty dog that looks like it was going to bite my face off!  Kujo Imperial Coffee Stout poured a gorgeous mahogany brown with amazing cascading! Sure I poured it with a heavy hand, but I am sure with a non aggressive pour it would be just as mesmerizing.  The head on this beer was a creamy coffee color that just about jumped out of my glass.  The head was riddled with large bubbles that seemed to last forever.

Really, how can you deny this?

The smell of coffee and vanilla took over my nose as well as my taste buds. I was expecting the coffee beans to take over, since it is an Imperial Coffee Stout, but the vanilla was more noticable. Kujo was medium bodied with a bitter/dry finish.  I left the beer  to warm up and the coffee flavor picked up.  I enjoyed this beer icy cold as well as slightly above room temperature. 

Kujo may have scared the crap out of me but it was worth every damn sip!

Cheers!
~K~ 










1 comment:

  1. great review on both. i live in maryland so i drink these allll the time

    ReplyDelete