Sunday, January 15, 2012

A night with my Evil Twin

Evil Twin Brewery
Soft DK - 10% ABV

Spending time with my evil twin is usually a good time and sometimes involves possible illegal activity with poor judgement, but last night none of the above.  Sigh.  Instead I was sitting with an empty bottle of Soft DK brewed by Evil Twin Brewing. 

What?  Never heard of it? Uh, me either!!  My brother on the other hand has been drinking this brew for a few months even though the name Soft DK should have turned him off.  Evil Twin Brewing is a brewery from Denmark and just debuted in the US in April 2011.  A brewer by the name of Jeppe Jarnit-Bjergsø began his home brewing in 2003 but did not enter the commercial craft brew scene until 2005. Oh, and the name Evil Twin...hmmm.  Jeppe's brother is Mikkel Borg Bjergsø , who owns Mikkeller Brewery! Talk about sibling rivalry.  You may have heard of a few of his brews such as Beer Geek Brunch Weasel (made with weasel poo- true story), Beer Geek Breakfast. Big Worse, and many many more.



Some of the Evil Twin Lineup.

As you can see the name of the beers are a little off the wall and I believe one of them (not pictured) is called Cat Piss.  Yeah, not sure that is a crowd pleaser but whatever floats your boat, right?  The beer that I am reviewing is the the brew on the far left marketed as Soft DK because the US is all freaking uptight about being PC.  Whatever.

Soft DK 's color was dark as night with a beautiful caramel colored head.  Lacing and the carbonation looked amazing and I think it whispered...DRINK ME.  The aroma was that of chocolate, sweet coffee, and vanilla.  At this point, I was pretty sure I was going to totally fall in love with a beer named after poo!  My first sip was a total shock to my taste buds.  It was extremely bitter, almost like a hop bitter.  God I hate hops.  I did not see the IBU on the bottle but I went on Google and it was listed at 60 IBU's. Once the bitterness finished beating my tongue up it had a strong dark chocolate flavor with a dry finish.  After a few more sips I tasted a faint coffee undertone and some vanilla.  What I did not pick up was the alcohol taste.  With 10% ABV I was expecting to have a strong alcohol burn but it was not present. 

Overall,  my night with the Evil Twin was not as exciting or tasty as I hoped for but at 10% ABV it was all forgotten and forgiven.  

Cheers!
~K~ 





No comments:

Post a Comment