Saturday, July 16, 2011

Iron Hill 2-year Anniversary

Anvil Ale 5.1% ABV


Iron Hill Brewery
2 Year Anniversary Celebration

It started out as a usual Saturday afternoon, but low and behold Iron Hill Brewery was in full swing at noon!  They were celebrating their two year anniversary! To celebrate this momentous day they were offering tours, raffles, free appetizers to Mug Club Members, and special releases. Oh, happy day!

I first saw they had my favorite, an oldie but goodie...Winter Warmer!  They called it “Christmas in July”, a bourbon-aged version of our Winter Warmer.  It was almost as good as I remembered!  In the winter, Iron Hill would rim the glass with a simple syrup and a mix of cinnamon and sugar, which in my opinion made it PERFECT!  Today they omitted the glass dressing, but the beer was on spot!  

Winter Warmer, a dark ale aged in used Bourbon barrels for four months! 8.0% APV
Next my hubs, Rob (the hop-lover that I am not) tried the Anvil Ale. (Pictured Above)
It was light in color, but it tasted like flowers!  The description in the menu was...
A medium -bodied, copper-colored,  English-style best bitter with a noticeable malt flavor. Finishes with hop bitterness and floral hop flavor.  It was $6.00 for 16 oz and at a 5.1% APV.
I did not like it at all, but Rob ordered not one but two glasses.  If you like hops, order this little number!

 Right before I was finishing my beer I spied Chris LaPierre, who is Iron Hill's Master Brewer in Maple Shade and I asked him for a tour of the brewery. He not only was extremely nice, he was also very knowledgeable.  He came over to our table and took my family for a tour.  He explained the process from start to finish and even had barley for us to see and sample.

After the tour I was ready to try another beer. I asked out server to try the Cannibal. The description was light in color and medium-bodied but complex in flavor. Unique Belgian yeast imparts notes of spice and tropical fruit. It was $5.25 for 12oz and packed a 7.5% ABV.  I again, a hop hater, did not like it.  It was not terrible but not what I would sit and drink.  I voiced my opinion to the server and she recommended the Hefeweizen. 


Hefeweizen  4.8% APV

Immediately after receiving the sample I noticed the color was a little cloudier and the aroma was more appealing to me. It was crisp and refreshing with a hint of citrus. The description in the menu was a traditional unfiltered Bavarian Wheat beer, light and effervescent. It starts off with a refreshing tangy-ness and finishes with a distant yeast character of banana and clove.  I personally did not pick up clove or the banana, but got the citrus flavor.  It was on my likey list for sure.  It was reasonably prices at $6.00 for 16oz.

Overall the trip to Iron Hill Brewery was, as always, a pleasure.  If you are ever in the mood for eclectic food and distinct craft brews, stop in for a spell.  They have several locations and an informative website too. I promise you will not be disappointed!

Cheers!
K

No comments:

Post a Comment