Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Breakfast of Champions, or should I say Breakfast of Geeks!




Mikkeller  - mikkeller.dk
Beer Geek Breakfast - 7.5% ABV

This wonderful beer is brewed by yet another genius brewer named Mikkel Borg Bjergso.  He is the owner of Mikkeller which is yet another gypsy brewery.  Just like his identical twin Jeppe Jarnit-Bjerso from Evil Twin Brewery. Wait, does this ring a bell?  It should if you are reading my blog!!!  I reviewed a fabulous beer from Evil Twin last week call I Love You With All My Stout.  You can read a full write up about the brothers in the New York Times titled  A Fight is Brewing .  It's a very interesting article and when you get to the part where he use to drink Coors Light you will think you are 5 beers in and read it wrong! Sadly, it is true.  He was in the states and drank The Silver Bullet that not only is responsible for destroying your intestines but killing werewolves.  Thank god he went back to Denmark to create amazing beers and saved us from ever having to drink a Super Cold beer again! 

Beer Geek Breakfast I will have to say is one of my favorite Oatmeal Stouts.  I love my beers to be bold and rich.  This beer just so happens to have both of these qualities and then some!  

I immediately smelled the aroma of a strong brewed coffee with a hint of smokiness lingering from the perfectly poured beer.  The head had a creamy dark caramel color that quickly left the top of the glass to reveal an amazing dark stout.  My first sip took over my taste buds with a nice bitterness of coffee and finished with mild smokey malts. As the beer warmed up a bit more flavors appeared like some chocolate but the coffee flavor still remained the forward note.  It was not not a heavy beer by any means and with a 7.5% ABV it is a perfect beer to start off a Sunday afternoon.  

My overall score for this 11.2 oz bottle of goodness is...I wish it was a full 12oz because IT IS THAT GOOD!!!  If you can get your hands on one of these give me a shout and let me know what your inner Beer Geek thinks!  

Cheers!

Kath









No comments:

Post a Comment