Monday, August 27, 2012

A UFO on my patio on a Sunday Afternoon




Harpoon Brewery - Harpoon's Unfiltered Offerings
UFO Pumpkin - 5.9% ABV

On a beautiful Sunday afternoon the Mr. and I wanted to kick back, fend off the mosquitoes, and enjoy a nice fall brew.  We decided on an unfiltered gem produced by Harpoon Brewery.  Typically I am not a unfiltered kinda gal but Rob swore to me that this was not like the others.  I do not say this often, and I am sure he is not going to read this blog entry, so I will say...he is right.  There I said it,  and I shall never speak of it again.

As soon as I flipped off the cap, the bottle released a subtle, yet inviting aroma.  It was of pumpkin and sweet malts. Ahhh, my lovely Munich malts, how I love thee.  I poured the beer with total reckless abandonment primarily because I was thirsty and did not want to waste any more time!  Beer does get warm in August pretty fast.  Just sayin.  

Since the beer was poured into the glass with no caution it produced a rather high foamy head.  It did not grace the top of the beer for long so it was not a disaster.  What the head did leave behind was a gorgeous amber colored beer with a slight haze.  The smell of spices and pumpkin were now more prevalent but still not overwhelming.  

The taste and feel of the beer was just as it looked and smelled.  It was smooth and had a mildly sweet start with a perfect finish of pumpkin pie spices.  Again, it was not overwhelming in the spices or as bold as the Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin, but it worked for what I was expecting and wanted to drink.

This is going to definitely remain in my fall line up and I am sure there are a few more pumpkin beers left for me to discover.  So, until then...I will leave you with a little song to get you all in the pumpkin mood. 



Cheers!!!!

~K~











No comments:

Post a Comment